Thursday, May 21, 2009

Letter

This is a letter that I wrote to grandpa about a week after he passed. I thought I would post it on here.

Dear grandpa,

Losing you was not easy and not having you around has definitely affected every member of our family. We are such a close family and you were there for everything. A few months back when mom called to tell me you were in the hospital I was shocked because with the exception of your asthma you had always been so well and able to care for you and my little Bess. Those days with you the ICU I prayed that God would keep you here with us because we were not ready to let you go.

After a week in the hospital you seemed to be doing better and were released to the rehab facility. Once you recovered from there and were sent home my nerves calmed because I thought we got through this little scare and now everything is going to go back to normal again. But, we both know that was not the case. Mom called to say that you were back in the hospital again, but as long as you could get rid of that damn pneumonia you would make a full recovery.

I'm so glad that Greg, Nate, and I came to visit you in the hospital that Sunday night because this was the last time I spoke with you in person. I just remember me sitting on your bed holding your hand and playing with the skin on your fingers like I've done since I was little. You got to hold your newest great-grandchild Nate for the last time that night and he really put on a show for you giving you the big smiles. I remember you getting on to the nurses to "get grandma some damn blankets so she can rest," even sick and in the hospital you still were making sure your Bess was taken care of. When we left the hospital that night I think I gave you the biggest hug I've ever given you because I though if this is the last one I get to give to you I better make it count, I just couldn't let go. I'm sure I told you that I loved you at least 10 times within that one hug. I didn't let you see me cry but, my little secret I can share with you now is that I cried most of the way home. I told Greg that I've spent 28 years of having you around and I couldn't imagine going home for a visit without being able to stop by and see you, that's me being selfish I guess.

When they sent you home for the last time with the doctor telling us you weren't going to get any better I was sick. Then that was followed with days of emotional torture as mom would call and say "Grandpa is not doing well he had a bad night, Grandpa is unresponsive, he had quite a breathing spell, now Grandpa is fine he's watching TV eating spaghetti." I can tell you I thought I was going to have a stroke. On Thursday February 5th when mom called and said you weren't doing well I didn't really believe her because I figured well ok she'll call back in 20 minutes and say you were eating spaghetti again. But, that was not the case this time instead I got a text from mom "YOU MIGHT WANT TO COME HOME". My heart stopped because I knew it was real this time. As I rushed to get Greg and pack a bag for Nate my phone rang and it was Johna telling me that you had just passed. At that moment my heart sank and my mind flashed with all the memories we shared. As the tears rolled down my face I remembered you and I dancing at my wedding and I just lost it.

In a mad dash to get to Winchester even though it was too late we finally got there. There was our whole family, your little house full of everyone that loved you. The funeral home hadn't picked you up yet and you were still lying in your recliner chair. I went up to you and gave you a kiss on the forehead and told you I loved you. I also rubbed your head knowing it was the one time I could do so without get scolded, you hated your hair being messed with.

Your funeral was one of my hardest days emotionally, I could not compose myself. Grandma made sure they played your favorite, Old Rugged Cross by George Jones it was really nice. Don't you worry about your little Bess she is being taken care of. I miss you so much and I hurt for my Bess because now that I'm married and have a family I know what it's like to have that love and attachment to someone. I can understand how hard it would be to loose the person you've created children and a lifetime of memories with. I know it must break her heart to now have to live in the home you once shared, alone. She spent 58 years with you by her side as her husband and I know it won't be easy by any means, but the love of her family that you made sure was strong will help her get through this.

I love you so much grandpa and you will have a place in my heart forever. I miss you and I will keep your memory alive and share with Nate how you thought the world of him or as your would say "he is really something, I love that little man of yours." Thank you for making Greg feel so welcome into the family he really misses you too; you were his grandpa for going on 8 years now.
Thank you for your love my grandpa Goose! You are greatly missed and I hope that one day I can think of you without crying.

In loving memory of Floyd Geesy.
July 9, 1930 - February 5, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment